What I Will Do
The future of our youth is of upmost importance. Having two children in Craven County Schools and being a former employee has inspired me to run for Board of Education. I am currently the Program Assistant for CTE in Onslow County Schools. My son graduated from Craven County Schools, and enlisted in a career in the US Navy. This helped me see the lasting impact our schools have on a young life. Having a daughter currently in high school, I now have concerns as to the direction our school system is headed.
If elected, I will work to build transparency with finances, curriculum and policy. Our students and teachers deserve strong supporting leaders who will strive to make the necessary decisions that will bring improvement and prosperity to the district, but also ensure that every student has the opportunity to be successful in the real world.
Through my experience as a program assistant in Career and Technical Education, I understand the importance of fiscal responsibility while balancing the supply, material and equipment needs of teachers and students. I know the critical role educational partnerships with the business community has helping grow our own responsible, productive citizens in Craven County.
I Stand For:
- Being fiscally responsibility to the taxpayer
- Eliminating wasteful spending on initiatives that bear no results
- Providing students with practical technology through fiscally responsible methods
- Ensuring every child is career ready regardless of their post-secondary plans
- Creating a strong education system that reflects a strong, positive teacher morale
- Treating all teachers and staff as professionals
- Ensuring all students have the right to learn in a nurturing, safe environment
- Developing qualified school and district leaders
- Supporting sound instructional practices that allow all students to learn how they learn best
Low Performing Schools
Low performing schools is not an option. Too many in our district have become restart schools. That means consistently low preforming for 5 years.
Unhappy teachers feel they are not supported. Teachers are the most important asset of our schools. Without good teachers who are enthusiastic about their calling, students will not thrive and grow.
Fiscally Responsible Technology
While all children need to be technologically competitive for life, the means by which that technology is provided should be fiscally responsible.
Business, Industry and Community Partnerships
I want to ensure that we have strong partnerships with our local community partners including our community college, businesses and industry.